Values & Principles of Pioneer Network
Culture Change is the common name given to the national movement for the transformation of older adult services based on person-centered values and practices.
Pioneer Network is the umbrella organization for the Culture Change Movement.
Pioneer Network advocates for a culture of aging in which individual voices are heard and individual choices are respected.
They are helping care providers to transition away from a medical, institutional model of care to one that is life affirming, satisfying, humane and meaningful.
Culture Change requires changes in relationships at all levels.
Culture Change includes transformation in organizational practices, the physical environment, and most importantly, personal awareness.
Culture Change leads to better outcomes for consumers and direct-care workers without inflicting detrimental costs on providers.
Pioneer Network champions approaches where both older adults and their caregivers are able to express choice and practice self-determination, no matter where someone calls home.
Pioneer Network’s work in cultural transformation is grounded in the following Values and Principles:
- Know each person.
- Each person can and does make a
- Relationship is the fundamental building block of a transformed culture.
- Respond to spirit, as well as mind and body.
- Risk taking is a normal part of life.
- Put person before task.
- All elders are entitled to self-determination wherever they live.
- Community is the antidote to institutionalization.
- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- Promote the growth and development of all.
- Shape and use the potential of the environment in all its aspects: physical, organizational, psycho/social/spiritual.
- Practice self-examination, searching for new creativity and opportunities for doing better.
- Recognize that culture change and transformation are not destinations but a journey, always a work in progress.
How can you bring Pioneer Network Values and Principles to life?
Pioneer Network. Inspiring Culture Change, supporting innovation, providing an opportunity for learning.
Are you connected with the Network?