Dementia Beyond Drugs: Changing the Culture of Care Live Online Training in 2023!
This Training is Eye-opening and Transformative!
The curriculum is based on the award-winning book by geriatric physician and global dementia expert G. Allen Power, M.D. This in-depth online learning experience uses the framework of culture change to create a new approach to caring for people who live with dementia. It emphasizes why the current paradigm for dementia care can never produce satisfactory results and explores an experiential model that facilitates growth, meaningful engagement, and improved well-being via the application of person- directed practices.
Participants will learn how to…
- Reframe “problem behaviors” as unmet needs
- Decrease reliance on antipsychotic and psychotropic medications
- Identify the limitations of our current approach to care for those living with dementia
- Improve communication and promote positive, affirming interactions
- Reduce challenging interactions through creative solutions that empower individuals to live full and positive lives
- Apply this new “Experiential Model” of dementia care to everyday situations of need and recognize the importance of enhancing well-being for all
2023 GA Training Dates:
Seven LIVE Online Sessions
Aug 17 – Sept 28, 2023
New afternoon class added on Thursdays from 1:30 – 3:30 pm ET
*At least 12.0 CE hours with NAB/NCERS.*
Who Should Attend?
This is for anyone interested in learning about person-centered dementia care and improving the lives of people with dementia, including: Long-Term Care Ombudsmen, State Surveyors, Policymakers, as well as Residents, Family/Friend Care Partners.
We recommend sending a team from each organization so they are inspired and prepared to work together to implement what they learned when they return.
Think interdisciplinary team building!
NOTICE: If you DO NOT work in a Georgia nursing center, you can register directly to participate in the Dementia Beyond Drugs: Changing the Culture of Care training. Use the code CCNG2 for the $450 discounted rate ($50 savings). Once the code is applied, you will see the $450 rate. Register Here
Free Seats are Available to Nursing Home Staff and Related Stakeholders!
Georgia nursing home staff and related stakeholders are eligible to apply for scholarships to participate in the Dementia Beyond Drugs: Changing The Culture Of Care on-line training. This is part of the A Trauma-Informed Approach to Improving Dementia Care in Georgia’s Nursing Homes grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Georgia State Survey Agency, in partnership with Culture Change Network of Georgia and Georgia State University’s Gerontology Institute. This certification is intended to increase skills in providing person-centered dementia care and reduce the misuse of antipsychotic and psychotropic medications.
Related nursing home stakeholders include: residents, informal care partners for a resident (family, friend, volunteer), Georgia Long Term Care Ombudsman, and State of Georgia Surveyors.
Application Details for Nursing Homes
This course is designed for TEAMS to participate together; therefore, we recommend that a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 staff from the same nursing center are included in a team. ONLY ONE TEAM FROM EACH NURSING CENTER IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. The ideal team will include the Medical Director, the Director of Nursing, the Administrator, other department supervisors, and the remainder direct care and other support staff. If possible, include other stakeholders such as a resident, family member, volunteer, or even your local ombudsman to participate with your team.
Each nursing center must have a CONTACT PERSON listed. The contact person can be one of the applicants OR a person in another role at the nursing center. ALL APPLICANTS FROM EACH NURSING CENTER TEAM MUST BE LISTED ON THE SAME APPLICATION FORM INCLUDING THE CONTACT PERSON.
- DEADLINE for submission of applications is Wednesday, August 9, 2023 for the 7-week online certification/class.
- Illegible or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applications must be submitted in the fillable form.
- If you have any questions about the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESERVED SEAT AWARDS
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and final decisions will be announced in advance of the training start date. Please make sure your team protects all the meeting dates. You will be notified by email of the status of your application.
- Applications will be considered on a first come-first served basis, and space is limited. An accepted application will cover the $450.00 per person full registration fee. If your application is accepted, you do not need to pay to attend the training.
- Recipients must log in on time for each session and actively engage and participate in the entire 7-week training each Thursday from August 17, 2023, through September 28, 2023. This includes having video on and audio available to participate as appropriate.
- To complete the training, participants must be actively engaged in at least 5 of the 7 online sessions. If a session is missed, the link to the recording must be requested and reviewed within one week of the session.
- Each participant will be required to complete a pre- and post-training evaluation and document what was learned in the Dementia Beyond Drugs: Changing The Culture Of Care training.
- Each participant will be required to document (on the post-training evaluation) how they will share information and resources with peers and others.
Register or Apply Today
Grant funds are available for Georgia Nursing Home staff and related stakeholder to apply for FREE coverage of the full registration fee ($450 value). Applicable stakeholders include: State Surveyors, Long-Term Care Ombudsmen, Residents, and Family/Friend Care Partners. LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE.
GA NURSING HOMES/STAKEHOLDERS APPLY HERE
For anyone in Georgia who is NOT connected to a Georgia Nursing Home, you can still participate in the certification and there is a special discounted registration rate (via CCNG) of $450 ($50 savings). Use the code CCNG2.
IF YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO A GA NURSING HOME REGISTER HERE.